The village Agios
Ambrosios is found on the main Limassol-Omodos-Platres
street, at a distance of about 27 kilometers north-west
from the city of Limassol. It is one of the most beautiful winemaking
villages of the Limassol district; it was and will always
remain known for its viniculture. Proof for all these
are the excellent wines produced by the ecological winery
of the village that has made Agios Ambrosios known throughout
The village has undergone several fluctuations of its
population. In 1881 the inhabitants run up to 165, increasing
to 212 in 1911, to 252 in 1931, and to 365 in 1960.
Then the urban pull hit the village, as well as all
the other winemaking villages, and as a result the inhabitants
decreased to 337 in 1973 and to 304 in 1982. In the
2001 census the inhabitants numbered 310.
A remarkable geomorphologic phenomenon,
which is associated with the region of Agios Amvrosios,
is the "capture" of waters from the Paramali
river by the river Kryos that is a tributary of the
Kouris river. Whilst the river Kouris descends from
Troodos following an almost straight southwestern direction,
appearing to be a continuance of the Paramali river,
precisely north of Agios Ambrosios it makes a 90? turn
to the east and joins with the river Kouris. Between
the turn and the upper part of the river Paramali there
are all the evidence proving that -indeed -it is in
this area that the "capture" of the waters
from the Paramali river took place. It is one of the
very few classic examples of a "river capture"
that we have in Cyprus.
One of the main sights that
the visitor can see in the village is the church of
Saint Ambrosios, created in the 14th century, as well
as the chapel of Saint Elisabeth with the Byzantine
frescos and also the chapel of Saint George, created
in the 11th century.
A visitor coming to the village can find freshness and
rest under the large mulberry that stands in the village
square and at the same time enjoy his/her coffee or
beer in the coffeehouses thereabout.