The Church of Agios (St.) Amvrosios, bishop
of Mediolanum (Milan), stands at the centre of the village.
This temple is a true ornament for the community. It is a
wonderful construction from an architectural aspect and was
built in the 14th century.
The church is small in volume but also very
well looked after and beautiful. It is a Basilica with a single
aisle and a roof with two angles. The whole structure is made
of small stones, which give a distinct beauty to it.
Eight great poles with capitals, projecting
from the two side-walls, externally support the church. The
interior of the church is illuminated through its three entrances
and through one window that was made at a latter period. Over
the west gate of the church there is a -small in size -window
that slightly illuminates the women's loft of the church.
At the left of the west gate there is a
small opening that is used for the seating of St. Amvrosios's
icon -and also of the other icons -during the litany that
occurs during important holidays. Over the opening there is
a related sign that mentions the donor of this making, "EXPENDITURE
OF DESPINOU ECONOMOU". There is also the relevant date
(1838) of construction for this part of the church, found
on a small arched stone.
At the north entrance of the temple and
above it, there is an opening in which some data relevant
to the construction year of the church were imprinted. Today
the only things one can see -after meticulous observation
-are the numbers 3 and 0.
In the east part of the church and on the
left side lies the beautiful belfry, which is embodied in
the north-eastern wall. It is also stone-made and it stands
a little bit above the roof of the church. It only carries
In the middle of the outer angle of the
bema there is an engraved chronological sign that indicates
the construction date of the Bema (1850), along with the Christian
symbol IC XC NI KA (loosely translated, Jesus Christ Wins).
Internally the church presents special architectural
interest. The floor of the church was recently repaired. Marble
has been installed to replace the church's previous floor.
There are also some frescoes -those saved after the destruction
brought by human error when people tried to improve the church
a few years ago. Fortunately however some samples from those
have been saved.
On the north wall of the church stands the
wooden pulpit with its donor's name recorder on it, that being
The Women's Loft is in the west part of
the temple and stands on a wooden arch. It is generally made
out of wood. In 1992 it was also repaired along with the entire
The main temple is separated by the Bema
by a wonderful woodcut, gilt-edged, icon screen, made in 1877
according to the chronological sign that is engraved in its
centre, above the Holy Gate. There are excellent icons on
the icon screen, dating back to 1853-1855 and 1866-1867.
The Altar is made of stone. It is a miniature
of a domed temple, since it is supported by four pillars and
forms -in the middle -a small dome upon which there is a painting
of the Almighty by hagiographer Nearchos Giallourides.
Both internally and externally, the
church of Agios Amvrosios is a true jewel for the community,
being the most important structure in the village form an
architectural point of view.
The whole structure is completed by the church's precinct,
which was constructed together with the reconditioning of
the church in 1992. These spaces are used for the various
events that take place in the village from time to time. Lately
a traditional, stone-made fountain has been constructed in
this area, varnishing the church's precinct.